Interface options (backburner)

Questions and answers for COW Macintosh and Windows
FreeRepublic

Interface options (backburner)

Postby FreeRepublic » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:35 pm

I have used several versions of Bookup and seen a lot of improvement. Occasionally, there is something I miss. So here are a few ideas to consider before a future release.

1) Selecting candidate moves from a list.
In the past you could click on any candidate move to make the move. That does not work now. One can option (right mouse or trackpad) click, or simply make the move on the board. But just clicking on the candidate seems simplest to me.

2) As before, one can name a position and later jump to that position. Once you've done so, the fist move you make is move 1. For example, if you jump to the start of the Marshall counter gambit in the Ruy Lopez, white's first move is 1exd. In an earlier iteration, this would be 9.exd, which better matches my intuition and chess books.

3) File color scheme. COW Professional has a friendly red piece on white color scheme. The COW Express has a sophisticated brushed nickel or red/black gradient (depending on what you are looking at). I'll grant you that this is not important. Anyone of any sense can go either way. I just prefer the brushed nickel.

FreeRepublic

MikeAtBookup

Re: Interface options (backburner)

Postby MikeAtBookup » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:31 pm

You might be seeing a bug that affects a small number of Windows 10 users. Build 90 fixes this problem for the few users who reported it. They can now click on any candidate move.

Yes, there used to be a way to manually choose the number of the starting move for any position that you jumped to. Named positions are really intended for endgame and tactics studies/puzzles. You might consider using the regular bookmark to keep track of play to a certain position rather than jumping to a named middlegame position and then matching up the move numbers.

The brushed nickel gradient icon should be used only for the older file format (.2MD).
-------------------
Mike Leahy
:geek: Head Geek at bookup.com

cfan

Postby cfan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:19 am

MikeAtBookup wrote:You might be seeing a bug that affects a small number of Windows 10 users. Build 90 fixes this problem for the few users who reported it. They can now click on any candidate move.

Yes, there used to be a way to manually choose the number of the starting move for any position that you jumped to. Named positions are really intended for endgame and tactics studies/puzzles. You might consider using the regular bookmark to keep track of play to a certain position rather than jumping to a named middlegame position and then matching up the move numbers.

The brushed nickel gradient icon should be used only for the older file format (.2MD).

When will build 90 be available for download thanks.

MikeAtBookup

Postby MikeAtBookup » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:32 pm

Builds 92 (Windows Pro) and 93 (Windows (Express) are now available for download.
-------------------
Mike Leahy

FreeRepublic

Postby FreeRepublic » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:05 pm

Yes, build 92 solved my problem. I can now click on any candidate move on the list and it plays directly.

"You might consider using the regular bookmark to keep track of play to a certain position." You lost me there. I can't find a bookmark command in COW.

MikeAtBookup

Postby MikeAtBookup » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:15 pm

Ah, ebooks keep track of the line played so that when you open the book later it reads the "bookmark" and restores the last played line.

There isn't a way to save individual bookmarks though. The app assumes that named positions are endgames or tactics puzzles that don't need a line of play from the starting position.
-------------------
Mike Leahy

Return to “Chess Openings Wizard 2016 Support”