Problem mit the board

Questions and answers for COW Macintosh and Windows
BHGP
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 am

Problem mit the board

Post by BHGP »

Hi,

quite often the board in COW is destroyed, look for this screenshot:
COW_Board.JPG
COW_Board.JPG (55.74 KiB) Viewed 10129 times


Bernd
MikeCrockett
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeCrockett »

Yes, I had this problem too using Build 66 on a Windows 10 machine. It seems to occur when starting a new eBook. I sent Mike a bug report on it but I don't know if he's seen it yet.

I was able to get past the issue by clicking on one of the candidate moves. Once I did that, the graphics corrected itself. In your screen shot you have the move 1. e4 showing. Try clicking that and see if it helps correct the problem.
MikeAtBookup
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeAtBookup »

Thanks for reporting this one. One person reporting such a strange this is an anomaly. Two people are a pattern. :)

I've not been able to reproduce this problem and I don't have a guess as to what might be causing it.

I'm glad it goes away as soon as the diagram is re-drawn.
-------------------
Mike Leahy
:geek: Head Geek at bookup.com
cfan
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:07 am

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by cfan »

MikeCrockett wrote:Yes, I had this problem too using Build 66 on a Windows 10 machine. It seems to occur when starting a new eBook. I sent Mike a bug report on it but I don't know if he's seen it yet.

I was able to get past the issue by clicking on one of the candidate moves. Once I did that, the graphics corrected itself. In your screen shot you have the move 1. e4 showing. Try clicking that and see if it helps correct the problem.
I have the same problem on Windows 10. Mike's solution fixes the display.
MikeAtBookup
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeAtBookup »

I'm curious as to whether build 68 still behaves this way on your Windows 10 computer.
-------------------
Mike Leahy
:geek: Head Geek at bookup.com
MikeCrockett
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeCrockett »

MikeAtBookup wrote:I'm curious as to whether build 68 still behaves this way on your Windows 10 computer.
Mike - I'm still using version 66 and I'm on day 12 of a 13 day eBook rebuild that got corrupted from a PGN import. Unfortunately I had not done a back-up to fall back to. :-(

Anyway, when this finishes, I will install your latest release and get back to you. I wanted to mention that the display issue might be a Windows 10 Video Card / Driver issue. There reason I think so, I was recently looking at some games on chess.com and had a very similar display issue with the chess board graphic using Microsoft Edge. The issue might not be with COW itself, but with the video card/driver.

My Toshiba Satellite is using a Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 display adapter. Driver version 9.17.10.4229.
MikeAtBookup
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeAtBookup »

Yeah, I'd recommend making a backup copy of any important ebook before doing anything with a big impact (such as a large PGN import).

Thanks for the heads up on the graphics card driver idea. Ultimately I'd like the program to work great no matter what the graphics card might do in the optimization department. COW isn't rendering 3D full motion. :)
-------------------
Mike Leahy
:geek: Head Geek at bookup.com
MikeCrockett
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:15 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeCrockett »

MikeAtBookup wrote:Thanks for the heads up on the graphics card driver idea. Ultimately I'd like the program to work great no matter what the graphics card might do in the optimization department. COW isn't rendering 3D full motion. :)
Mike, I installed COW Version 68 on Microsoft Windows 10 and, so far, I was not able to reconstruct the distorted graphics issue. It's hard to say if the new release actually fixes the issue or not, but so far, so good. We can keep our fingers crossed and hope no one else encounters the same issue and we can call it good.
cfan
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:07 am

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by cfan »

MikeAtBookup wrote:I'm curious as to whether build 68 still behaves this way on your Windows 10 computer.
Mike

I still have the problem with build 68, but not always (Windows 10). Resizing the board also cause the display to be corrupted.
MikeAtBookup
Posts: 187
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:02 pm

Re: Problem mit the board

Post by MikeAtBookup »

T'hanks for that feedback. I imagine it's a driver problem. I will have to test on a number of Windows 10 machines, resizing the diagram until I can get it to happen here.
-------------------
Mike Leahy
:geek: Head Geek at bookup.com
Post Reply