COW: your workflow

Questions and answers for COW Macintosh and Windows
reivax

COW: your workflow

Post by reivax »

Hi,

I am totally new both here and with COW .

I am not sure I am doing things right. I am tryinq to toilet my repertoire. I have 2 books (one per color). Then, what ? The documentation is totally inexsitent and videos are more or less ads to purchase the tool... Does not help much

Here are a few questions I have sent to the support:

-> would you recommend this tool to keep track of my own games (like CB would do)? I mean keep my games with analysis. Currently, I have 2 "ebooks" named "black service" and "white service" (my repertoire), would that make sense to keep on adding my games in these "databases"?
-> What are the color usages exactly (green, red, yellow)?
-> what is the "certainty" slider?
-> I have also paid for the iOS version but it looks disastrous on my iphone, do you have plans to adapt it on that platform?
-> How does the dropbox sync work? Is it automatic or do I need to do something each time I am modifying my repertoire?
-> It would be quite nice to have the possibility to use another sync option (owncloud, onedrive, etc.)

Thanks for your help
musiclife

Re: COW: your workflow

Post by musiclife »

Hey,

I have used COW to keep track of certain books recommendations too. A book often do not lay out their ideas in a move by move fashion, and COW can help organize these. I find it a bit easier to sort through a database in the move tree format than the single game format used in chessbase. They're both good just for different things it seems.

I also recently got the iOS version and I have used it for training. I uploaded a book to dropbox, and downloaded it to the phone through there. Works fine.

I don't use the certainty meter, and I note the evaluation aspect is mostly used for backsolving and keeping track of which 'lines' are actually good. I'm not quite that far in my study as folks go off the opening rails at 2k way more often than they stay on them.
I don't use the colors. That seems to be when importing games, say from TWIC, and then you can keep track of where the novelties are.

Enjoy.
reivax

Post by reivax »

Thank you.

You do not explain though how you use COW to track your games.

When importing a new game, do you keep it all in your book, risking to train with inferior material or do you get rid of it altogether for example ?
musiclife

Post by musiclife »

Sorry, that seemed pretty straightforward but I am happy to explain a bit of what I do. Once I have a COW book of recommended moves, I look over the book to see where my opponent or I deviated from 'book' first. I don't usually import my games at all (but you could import and then mark the novelties with a color.) I prefer to leave my books more 'pristine' and then I can use the training function, ala chessable and other software, to help with practicing moves.

At 2k uscf, I don't find memorizing opening moves very critical, as I believe the planning/understanding the middlegame motifs, and positional motifs is more critical to my improvement.

I just love how cow shows at a very quick glance whether a move is considered at all in a book, and that transpositions to other lines is so easily tracked with this software. I do wish there was a way to toggle through individual lines. Sometimes there is a model game in a book, and it gets very challenging to keep track of a model game within a book on the same subject, because sometimes the model game doesn't follow the modern recommended line. Perhaps I could use coloring to denote such a thing and to leave it colored. Still learning how to maximize the software!

Best,
reivax

Post by reivax »

Thaks for your feedback. I will try to see how it fits with my own thinking
ferdy

Post by ferdy »

reivax wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:33 am Hi,

I am totally new both here and with COW .

I am not sure I am doing things right. I am tryinq to toilet my repertoire. I have 2 books (one per color). Then, what ? The documentation is totally inexsitent and videos are more or less ads to purchase the tool... Does not help much

Here are a few questions I have sent to the support:

-> would you recommend this tool to keep track of my own games (like CB would do)? I mean keep my games with analysis. Currently, I have 2 "ebooks" named "black service" and "white service" (my repertoire), would that make sense to keep on adding my games in these "databases"?

You can save your games by importing it to COW.
You can input alternative moves or analysis with color, ?, ! etc.

-> What are the color usages exactly (green, red, yellow)?
You can use it to mark a move that is good for blitz or bullet for example.
-> what is the "certainty" slider?
I don't know, hope mike will reply.